General Inquires

The ECPS department main offices are located in the Neville Scarfe building - 2125 Main Mall Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4. You can use Wayfinding at UBC Vancouver - Search for Locations to locate the building. Some ECPS faculty offices and the main ECPS administrative and staff offices are in the Scarfe building. The Counselling (CNPS) faculty offices and some additional ECPS faculty offices are located in the Library Block behind the main Scarfe Building. If you are travelling by bus, the TransLink online Trip Planning tool is very helpful.

The closest parking structure is the West Parkade, located at 2140 Lower Mall. The entrance to the parkade is on the east side of Lower Mall across from St. John's College. The closest metered parking is in front of The Bookstore. For more information on parking, see UBC Parking & Access Control.

The Office Block is the south wing of the Scarfe Building. At six stories high, it is the tallest part of Scarfe. It houses mostly faculty and staff offices, research labs, and meeting rooms.

The Library Block is located on the west side of the building. To reach the 2nd floor (where ECPS faculty offices and some other conference rooms are located) you must actually exit the middle of the main Scarfe building, walk through a small patio-area, and enter into the first floor of the library block. You can then take the stairs or the elevator to the second floor. Note: you cannot access these offices from the Education Library.

Many faculty offices are on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th floors of the Scarfe Office Block. Other faculty offices are located on the second floor of the Library Block. There is a list of faculty office locations when you step off the 5th floor elevator and at the entry to the Library Block. Specific office room numbers are stated within each ECPS faculty profile.

Operational staff and the department Head offices are all located on the 5th floor of Scarfe Office Block.

Faculty mailboxes are located in the building where faculty members have their office. For faculty in the main Scarfe building, mailboxes are in Room 2520 on the 5th floor of the office block. For faculty with offices in the Library Block, mailboxes are in Room 277.

Doctoral students are provided mailboxes. Upon request, masters-level students are provided mail folders. Students in HDLC, MERM, SACP, and SPED receive mail in the 5th floor mailroom, Scarfe 2520. Students in CNPS receive mail in Library Block Room 277.

Complete the Student/Student Worker Key Request Form. Please note that Parking & Access Control Services in the General Services Administration Building issue keys and will contact you via email once they are ready for pick-up.

A copy machine is located in the mailroom on the 5th floor (2520) and another is in the library block (277). Students may arrange to have a copy code through Admin & HR Support. You are then billed each period for your copies. Two other places to make copies are the Xerox print services (for large jobs) and UBC Library also has photocopy services. If it is afterhours and all of these places are closed, the Nest  (student union building) has photocopiers on the lower level.

Photocopying and printing services are available through UBC Library services. A UBC Library photocopy/printing card is required for self-service copying and printing at print stations. Find out more about this printing service (including pricing guide) and/or access the setup instructions to connect with your personal laptop to access library printing.

You may use the Education faculty, staff, and graduate student lounge (room 2414) on the 4th floor of the office block for quiet study. Other work areas include tables outside of the Education library and the student lounge in the basement at the south side of Scarfe.

There is an Education student lounge in the Scarfe basement near the south end of the building. There is an Education faculty, staff, and graduate lounge on the 4th floor - room 2414. There is a microwave, refrigerator, sinks, and a dishwasher as well as some tables and couches to eat and get away from it all for a short time.

Each of you has been assigned an advisor in your program area. If you have not already connected with them, you should do so. They will help you select classes and answer specific questions about your program and study. In addition, we have Graduate Student Support who are here to help you.

The main ECPS website has a lot of valuable information. You should spend time and explore the information on our website. Information includes faculty and their research interests, course descriptions, course schedules, program course sequences and regulations, upcoming events and much more. Check out the website on a regular basis to learn more about what is happening in ECPS. "G+PS" Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (formerly FoGS)is also an invaluable resource for guidelines, advice, and links to more information. The Office of Research is a wonderful destination for "a global orientation to the Faculty of Education, along with very specific information about the resources available to you."

As a graduate student in ECPS you are a part of two Faculties - the Faculty of Education (FoE) and Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (G+PS). Although this means you need to stay informed of two faculties' policies, you have the benefit of drawing upon two faculties' resources.

The Office of Research is a service unit within the Faculty of Education and provides information, guidance, and support for graduate student funding, research methodology courses, and graduate policy. Check out their page!

The UBC Student Services website for International Students is an excellent portal and deserves to be bookmarked in your browser as it contains many important links and updated events.

The Learning Commons Equipment Lending

UBC Learning Commons carries the following AV equipment available for lending:

  • Laptops
  • Camcorders and Tripods
  • LCD Projectors
  • Mac Display Adaptors
  • Voice Recorders
  • Smart Phone & Laptop Chargers
  • Headphones
  • Other presentation supplies

Equipment Lending at UBC Learning Commons

The Learning Commons is at: Room 300, Irving K. Barber Learning Centre

Funding Opportunities

It is a good idea to frequently check our website for job opportunities. You could also ask your advisor or research supervisor. You may also wish to contact other faculty members for RA opportunities.

Don't forget to check the ECPS student digest, and our departmental Twitter and/or Facebook feeds!

Once the appointment is set up, Workday will contact you by e-mail for onboarding information. You will be asked to complete bank direct deposit setup (prepare to provide a void cheque for online submission).

If you need emergency financial assistance, you may want to contact an Advisor at Student Financial Assistance and Awards to explore options.

As of 2006, you must "be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada." However, international students are eligible for other awards, for which you apply at the same time as the SSHRC competition, so keep abreast of the application deadlines, and related Departmental and other award information sessions (typically held early in the Fall term). http://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/prospective-students?tid=6

Academic Procedures

Go to https://ecps.educ.ubc.ca/ and click on your program area. Then click in your degree category (Masters or Ph.D).

Submit all graduate student forms to the ECPS Graduate Program Supports. Original forms must be submitted, they cannot be submitted by email or fax.

You should automatically get an email notification of the registration opening date and time for your program if you've signed up a CWL account, but make sure to check this information for guidelines:

Contact the instructor of the course by email. If the instructor's email is not listed in the course instructor, consult the ECPS faculty directory. If the instructor is not listed at all in the course description, contact one of the Graduate Program Supports to see if they have further information.

First, you need to speak with your instructor to see if you can work out a plan to complete the requirements with an extension. It would be wise to also talk with your academic supervisor especially if this problem is going to crop up again. Your instructor might recommend that you opt to take a Deferred Standing (DS) which is sometimes called a Standing Deferral. You can also request to take a leave from your program of graduate studies, which makes sense if the problem is likely to have more than short-term effects. The leave will temporarily stop the clock on the time you have to complete your program.

Please read this information carefully:

G+PS' Handbook of Graduate Supervision has a chapter called the Working Relationship, which providing advices on problem resolution.

You may also want to check out the Conflict Resolution Guide produced by G+PS.
The AMS Ombuds Office could also assist you.

Typically, if your advisor is going on sabbatical, you will continue to correspond with your advisor while they are on sabbatical. In some cases, the advisor will appoint someone to act in their place while they are away from the campus.

The UBC Library provides a detailed FAQ called "Finding the Right Information Sources For a Literature Review" that covers much more than lit reviews.

Thesis and Graduating Projects

G+PS (Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies) Handbook of Graduate Supervision devotes an entire section to The Graduate Thesis:

Professional Development

An early resource that caught our eye is G+PS' Graduate Game Plan. It is packed with advice for students at all stages of their programs, but might still have some broken links.

G+PS has developed numerous guides which "provide comprehensive references on career assessment, academic success, and management skills development for graduate students." Topics include career assessment, career research, getting a job as an academic, conflict resolution, and facilitative leadership.

Graduate Pathways to Success (GPS) sponsored by the UBC Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, offers a number of professional development workshops and events throughout the year. Workshops are available only to currently enrolled UBC graduate students. These workshops cover topics that are valuable for students in many different programs and typically receive high satisfaction ratings from participating students."

Being A Successful Graduate Student (Powerpoint presentation)

The UBC Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology is also a valuable resource.

Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies offers workshops in grant writing; check their event schedule

There are some tips in the Graduate Game Plan

Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (G+PS) offers workshops on practicing your presentation skills; check their Events calendar often: http://www.grad.ubc.ca/about-us/events

The Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology offers Graduate Student Presentation Skills Workshops on a regular basis

G+PS offers professional development workshops

The Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology hosts Graduate Student Instructional Skills Workshops

Personal Development

Continuing Studies Courses - including certificate programs, arts, humanities, global academics, health, wellness, cultures, travel, and writing centre

Writing Centre - including personal & creative writing, academic writing, professional writing, online courses, and tutoring services

Life & Career Centre - free drop-in career and community resource info, individual life and career planning sessions, workshops, and online tools

Counselling - one-on-one or group setting including self-esteem, anxiety, depression, disordered eating, stress management, and meditation

Health & Wellness Guide - community life, caring & diversity, stress & mental health, fitness & recreation, relationships & sexual health

Leadership & Involvement - including AMS Clubs, Peer Program, Sustainability Ambassadors, and Volunteer Connections

Go Global - international programs information, partner universities, personal reports, student testimonials, info sessions, and workshops

Study & Research Skills - workshops, programs and services to help you succeed academically

Religious & Spiritual Services - Muslim, Jewish, Christian (Anglican, Lutheran, Pentecostal, Baptist, Catholic and United Churches), Buddhist and Baha'i representation

Positive Space Campaign - "for lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, transgender, transexual, two-spirit, inter-sex, and questioning (LGBQTTI) people and issues"

Self-Help Resources - including anger management, anxiety, communication skills, depression, procrastination/motivation, stress management

Coaching - professional coaching services, how to select a coach, UBC community of coaches, coaching triangles, coaching workshops

For those of you who might not be aware, Karen and Alex are only able to update the internal department database with contact info changes that are sent to us (mailing address, phone numbers etc.) To ensure that you continue to receive emails and correspondence from the university, please go to the student service site and update your information accordingly. Once logged in, please refer to the “Personal Information” area under “My Services” in the far-left hand column on the page.