General Admission and Application Process

If, after reading the information on our website, you still have questions, please contact:

Alex Allen

  • Special Education (SPED),
  • Human Development Learning and Culture (HDLC),
  • School Psychology (SCPS),

Karen Yan

  • Counselling Psychology (CNPS) ,
  • Measurement, Evaluation and Research Methodology (MERM),
  • Vocational Rehab Counselling (VHRC),

CNPS Admissions Peer Advisor

  • Counselling Psychology (CNPS)

Yes. The maximum number of credits that can be transferred is 12, providing the credits were not counted toward the completion of another credential, and that at least a B standing was obtained. The time limit for eligibility of courses for transfer to a graduate degree program is five years at the time the student commences their program. The student must request the transfer through their Program Advisor after they have been accepted into their program.

Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies requires that students complete their Masters degree in a maximum of 5 years and their Ph.D. degree in a maximum of 6 years.

Having a specific research topic is most helpful for M.A. applicants, but not required. Applicants should have an area of research interest in mind when applying.

A student must have completed a recognized teacher education program.

Refer to our "How To Apply" page for the application deadline date. Late applications will not be accepted.
Student applications for all programs are considered once per year.

Yes. You need to demonstrate proficiency in English if you are from a country where English is not the primary language of instruction. Learn more about English language requirements.

Unfortunately we receive too many applications to follow up with each one. It is your responsibility to insure your application is complete and submitted on time. Applicants can check the status of their applications online after the admission deadline.

No. Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies will only accept transcripts and degree certificates that have either been sent directly from the originating university to UBC, or, if sent by the applicant to UBC. All transcripts must be received at UBC in envelopes that have been sealed and endorsed by the originating university (and not previously opened by the applicant or any other party).

A minimum of 3 years' work experience or volunteer experience working with people in a facilitating or helping context.
A helping context consists of a paid or unpaid role in which the person nurtures the growth of or addresses the problems of a person's physical, psychological, intellectual, emotional or spiritual well-being.

Examples of helping roles include: crisis line volunteer, employment and/or addictions counselling experience, summer camp counsellor, youth shelter volunteer, transition house volunteer, adult day centre volunteer, child and baby clinic volunteer.

Helping roles are NOT roles in which the individual has an agenda other than helping the person, such as retail sales where the individual also has the agenda of making a sale.

All 300 and 400-level courses completed in a 4-year Bachelor’s degree with a minimum overall average in the B+ range (76% at UBC) is required according to Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies . However, admission to the program is competitive and often a greater average is required in order to be considered. The competitive average shifts from year to year based on applicants' academic profiles.

Program Specific

In most program areas the course work is the same for the M.A. and M.Ed.
M.A. programs require the completion of a thesis. A more complete description of the distinction between the two degrees is available on our M.A. vs. M.Ed. webpage.

All Master's programs are available on a part-time basis, with the exception of the School Psychology Program.
It is the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies' policy that no doctoral program may be taken by part-time studies.

Currently, graduate programs are not available through distance education. Information on distance education programs are offered through the Faculty of Education's Professional Development & Community Engagement office.

Doctoral students in SPED, HDLC, MERM or SCPS are expected to complete residency of 12 consecutive months of full-time study and this period of study will normally begin at the start of their doctoral program.

Doctoral Specific

Generally an M.A. degree, including a thesis, is required to apply to a doctoral program. Applicants must show evidence of having conducted a research project of the caliber of a graduate degree thesis in lieu of having done a thesis.

In order for students to meet deadlines for comprehensive examinations and candidacy, the department requires students to be engaged in full time study for a minimum of two calendar years. This means engaging in paid work not connected to your graduate program for less than 12 hours per week.

Check out the FAQs on the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies website which covers pre-application, application, post-application and referee information.