Admissions FAQ

School Psychology is a great career. There are many openings in BC and throughout North America, and starting salaries are excellent. With a Master's degree in School and Applied Child Psychology, the most common job is as a School Psychologist working in a school district and job prospects are excellent. In addition to working in schools, individuals with a degree in School and Applied Child School Psychology with PhD work in a variety of settings, including universities as researches and/or teaching, mental health agencies, child development centres, children’s hospitals, and private practices in addition to schools. Our M.Ed. is currently on hold as we make revisions to align it with the new requirements for credentials as a Licensed School Psychologist in B.C. Our M.A. does not allow you to practice if you do not continue to the Ph.D. unless you take additional coursework and a Master’s level internship. With a PhD, you would be eligible for registration as a psychologist with the College of Psychologists of BC and most other provinces and states in North America.

School Psychologists who work in schools are district employees, so salaries can vary depending on where you work. Most school districts pay school psychologists at or above the teacher range, which are averaged on the Education Canada Network website. The training for School Psychologists would place you at six or more years of education. Many districts also provide an additional stipend for School Psychologists, so the pay is often $2000 - 5000 extra, with excellent benefits and retirement plans. In addition, there is a shortage in the field, which can work to your advantage in terms of availability and salary leverage. Salary for School Psychologists working in non-school settings such as private agencies, mental health, hospitals, etc. can vary considerably with the site.

All SACP degree programs are reviewing the GRE requirement at this time. Currently, the GRE is not required for any of the SACP programs.

No, you do not need to be a teacher or have a teaching certificate for the School and Applied Child Psychology program at UBC. You do need evidence of successful work experience with school age children and youth. This can be met in a number of ways, including working as a teaching assistant, behaviour analyst or interventionist, coach, classroom volunteer, or camp counsellor. Most applicants include one letter of reference from someone who can comment on their suitability for work with children and youth based on prior experience.

A minimum of 18 credits in psychology, education, special education or related disciplines including CNPS 362 or an equivalent undergraduate course in basic interviewing skills is required. Upper-level coursework (courses at the 300, 400, or 500 level) are required in the areas of both statistics and research methods. If your university does not offer upper division coursework in statistics and research methods, you need to address that you have completed advanced undergraduate level statistics in your program or at your university. Coursework in measurement is recommended but not required. More detailed information on masters prerequisites can be found on the Application Information page. Students are encouraged to have background or coursework in areas most relevant to school psychology practice (e.g., child development, learning, exceptional students, classroom management, behaviour disorders, abnormal psychology). It is not necessary to have a degree in psychology or education to apply. Students applying to the M.A. program should have some prior experience doing research (e.g. Honours thesis, work in a research lab) and identify a potential research supervisor(s) in their application.

The prerequisite is a M.A. in School and Applied Child Psychology from UBC or equivalent to UBC's coursework. If you are interested in the Ph.D. but do not have these requirements, you should apply to the masters program and then apply for the Ph.D. from within the program. Ph.D. applicants should discuss their research interests and identify a potential research supervisor(s) in their application.

The M.A. program serves as the foundation for the Ph.D. program and is considered a part of the Ph.D. program in SACP at UBC. It is not intended for those who want to practice as school psychologists at the master’s level. The M.Ed. program is intended as a terminal degree leading to practice in school districts as a Master's level school psychologist. There are some differences in the required coursework in the M.Ed. and M.A. programs. Students in the M.A. program complete coursework in research methods and a data-based research thesis. Students in the M.Ed. program complete a 10-month internship and graduating portfolio in their 3rd year as a part of their internship.

All students applying to the M.A. and Ph.D. programs are asked to identify faculty members and the areas of research and practice that are of most interest to them, as part of the application process. M.Ed. students apply to the program and are assigned to a program advisor at the time of admission. Given the research focus of the M.A. and Ph.D. programs, availability of a suitable research supervisor and applicant fit with faculty interests and expertise is a significant consideration for admission.

No. All three programs (M.Ed., M.A., and Ph.D.) require full-time study on campus prior to internship. Students are enrolled in two years of full-time study on campus in the master's programs and three years of resident study in the doctoral programs.

Yes. In the M.Ed. program, students take classes in May and June. M.A. M.A. students have coursework and practicum in their first summer. Ph.D. students may have summer coursework and clinical practicum depending on their specific program of study. M.A. and Ph.D. students also have research responsibilities in the summers.

PhD students are guaranteed funding of at least $22,000 per year for four years when admission offers are made (the 4th year is the Pre-Doctoral Internship Stipend). Though we are not able to guarantee funding for all Master's students at the time of acceptance, a wide array of funding options are available. Many students receive fellowships based on academic merit from provincial and federal agencies (e.g., SSHRC, CIHR, Ministry of Education). Other students work as Graduate Academic Assistants (GAAs) and Graduate Research Assistants (GRAs). In recent years, it has been our experience that any student who desires funding is able to find it through GAA and/or GRA positions.

Summaries of admissions data for the past 5 years are presented on the UBC Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies website. Additional information on program admission is provided elsewhere on the SACP website. 

Our M.Ed. program is currently on hold. For the M.A. cohort our goal is 6 students but this is dependent on available supervisors and research fit. Our goal for the Ph.D. program is 4 to 6 students but this is dependent on funding, available supervisors and research fit.