International Applicants

Minimum Academic Requirements

Applicants should have academic backgrounds within the general requirements listed by country below:

Given that the number of applicants exceeds the number of positions available, a record that satisfies basic entrance requirements does not guarantee admission to graduate studies.

Degrees From Non-English-Speaking Countries

Applicants whose degrees are from a country other than Canada, USA, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Kenya and English-speaking countries of the West Indies are required to submit an official report of their score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).  Learn more about our English Language Requirements.

Non-English Application Documents

If any transcripts or diplomas/certificates submitted with an application are not in English, then official documents (not photocopies) must be submitted along with certified translations in English. If your transcripts are from a university in the Peoples Republic of China, as per UBC regulations, you must include an official degree certificate in both Chinese and English.

International Grad Student Fees and Funding

International students admitted to programs charging tuition fees of $7,949 are eligible for an International Partial Tuition Scholarship of $1,500 for the academic year which is applied to assist with their tuition fees. Students are eligible as long as they are not a recipient of external scholarships or external funding that pays their tuition.
Find more information on scholarships, awards, and funding from Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. 

Going to Grad School in Canada

To enter Canada, a “Student Authorization” (Student Visa) is required. Apply to the nearest Canadian Consular or Immigration Office as soon as you receive the official letter of acceptance from the Dean of the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies as it may take eight to ten weeks for processing; for students from the People’s Republic of China it may take three to six months. To apply for your Student Authorization, you will require: UBC letter of acceptance, a valid passport, evidence of adequate funds for your tuition, maintenance for yourself and if married, your spouse and children, plus travel funds to and from Canada. If your application for a Student Authorization is approved, your UBC letter of admission/acceptance will be returned to you. You should retain it for presentation to the Immigration Officer at the Canadian point of entry.

Further information available: