University of British Columbia, 2013, Ph.D., Human Development, Learning and Culture, ECPS
University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany, 2007, B.A. + M.A.
Dr. Oberle’s research investigates factors linked to positive child development and strategies for promoting mental health and wellbeing in the school context in particular. Her main focus is on social and emotional learning in schools, risk and resilience, and positive youth development.
SRCD-AERA Early Career Fellowship in Middle Childhood Education and Development (joint award by the Society for Research on Child Development and the American Educational Research Association, 2019
18 Green College Leading Scholar (UBC), 2018
15 SSHRC postdoctoral fellowship, 2013
AERA – Graduate Student Award for Excellence in Social-Emotional Learning Research, 2011
13 Doctoral fellowship SSHRC, 2010
1. Oberle, E. (2009). The development of Theory of Mind reasoning in Micronesian children. Journal of Cognition and Culture, 9, 39-56.
IF: 1.06; Qu: 2
2. Oberle, E., Schonert-Reichl, K. A., Thomson, K. C. (2010). Understanding peer acceptance in early adolescence: Gender-specific predictors and correlates of emotional well-being. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 39, 1330-1342.
IF: 3.08; Qu: 1
3. Oberle, E., Schonert-Reichl, K. A., & Zumbo, B. D. (2011). Life satisfaction in early adolescence: The importance of personal, neighborhood, school, family, and peer influences. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 40, 889-901.
IF: 3.08; Qu: 1
4. Layous, K., Nelson, S. K., Oberle, E., Schonert-Reichl, K. A., & Lyubomirsky, S. (2012). Kindness counts: Prompting prosocial behavior in preadolescents boosts peer acceptance and well-being. PLOS one, 7, e5130.
IF: 3.70; Qu: 1
5. Oberle, E., Schonert-Reichl, K. A., Stewart Lawlor, M., & Thomson, K. C. (2012). Mindfulness and inhibitory control in early adolescence. Journal of Early Adolescence, 32, 564-587.
IF: 2.39; Qu: 1
6. Roeser, R. W., Schonert-Reichl, K. A., Jha, A., Cullen, M., Wallace, L., Wilensky, R., Oberle, E., Thomson, K., Taylor, C., & Harrison, J. (2013). Mindfulness Training and Reductions in teacher stress and burnout: Results from two randomized, waitlist-control Field trials. Journal of Educational Psychology, 105, 787-804.
IF: 5.31; Qu: 1
7. Oberle, E., Schonert-Reichl, K. A. (2013). Acceptance in the classroom is mediating the relationship between inhibitory control abilities and math grade. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 34, 45-51.
IF: 2.46; Qu: 1
8. Oberle, E., Schonert-Reichl, K. A., Zumbo, B. D., & Hertzman, C. (2014). Social-emotional competencies make the grade: Predicting academic achievement in early adolescence. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 35, 138-147.
IF: 2.46; Qu: 1
9. Oberle, E., Schonert-Reichl, K. A., Guhn, M., Zumbo, B. D., & Hertzman, C. (2014). The role of supportive adults in positive development middle childhood: A population-based study. Canadian Journal of School Psychology, 29, 296-316.
IF: 0.84; Qu: 2
10. Thomson, K., Schonert-Reichl, K. A., Oberle, E. (2015). Optimism in Early Adolescence: Relations to Individual Characteristics and Ecological Assets in Families, Schools, and Neighborhoods. Journal of Happiness Studies, 16, 889-913.
IF: 2.37; Qu: 1
11. Schonert-Reichl, K. A., Oberle, E., Stewart Lawlor, M., Abbott, D., Thomson, K., Oberlander, T., & Diamond, A. (2015). Enhancing cognitive and social-emotional development through a simple-to-administer mindfulness-based program for elementary school children: A randomized controlled trial. Developmental Psychology, 51, 52-66.
IF: 4.65; Qu: 1
12. Taylor, C., Harrisson, J., Haimowitz, K., Oberle, E., Thomson, K., Schonert-Reichl, K. A., & Roeser, R. (2016). Examining ways that a mindfulness-based intervention reduces stress in public school teachers: A mixed-method study. Mindfulness, 7, 119-125.
IF: 2.31; Qu: 1
13. Oberle, E., Domitrovitch, C. E., & Meyers, D., Weissberg, R. P. (2016). Establishing systemic social and emotional learning approaches in schools: The need for school-wide implementation. Cambridge Journal of Education, 46, 277-297.
IF: 1.40; Qu: 1
14. Oberle, E., & Schonert-Reichl, K. A. (2016). Stress contagion in the classroom? The link between classroom teacher burnout and morning cortisol in elementary school students. Social Science and Medicine, 159, 30-37.
IF: 3.51; Qu: 1
15. Taylor, R., Oberle, E., Durlak, J. A., & Weissberg, R. P. (2017). Promoting positive youth development through school-based social and emotional learning interventions: A meta-analysis of follow-up effects. Child Development, 4, 1156-1171.
IF: 3.94; Qu: 1
16. Oberle, E., McLachlan, K. M., Catherine, N., Schonert-Reichl, K. A., Weinberg, J., & Oberlander, T. F. (2017). Afternoon cortisol mediates the link between self regulated anger and peer reported aggression in the school context in typically developing children. Developmental Psychobiology, 59, 688-695.
IF: 2.58; Qu: 1
17. Thomson, K., Oberle, E., Gadermann, A. M., Guhn, M., Rowcliffe, P., & Schonert-Reichl, K. A. (2018). Measuring social-emotional development and well-being in middle childhood: The Middle Years Development Instrument. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 55, 107-118
IF: 2.46; Qu: 1
18. Oberle, E. (2018). Early adolescent emotional wellbeing in the classroom: The role of personal and contextual assets. Journal of School Health. 88, 101-111.
IF: 2.12; Qu: 1
19. Oberle, E. (2018). Social-emotional competence and early adolescents’ peer acceptance in school: Exploring the role of afternoon cortisol. PloS One, 13(2): e0192639.
IF: 3.39; Qu: 1
20. Oberle, E., Guhn, M., Gadermann, A. M., Thomson, K., & Schonert-Reichl, K. A. (2018). Positive mental health and supportive school environments: A longitudinal study of dispositional optimism and school social relationships in early adolescence. Social Science and Medicine, 214, 154-161.
IF: 3.51; Qu: 1
21. Magee, C. E., Guhn, M., Schonert-Reichl, K. A. & Oberle, E. (2019). Mental well-being among children in foster care: The role of supportive adults. Child and Youth Services Review, 102, 128-134.
IF: 2.05; Qu: 1
22. Oberle, E., Ji, X. R., Magee, C., Guhn, M., Schonert-Reichl, K. A., & Gadermann, A. M. (2019). Extracurricular participation profiles and wellbeing in middle childhood: A population level study. PloS One, 14, 0218488.
IF: 2.77; Qu: 1
23. Oberle, E., Ji, X. R., Guhn, M., Schonert-Reichl, K. A., & Gadermann, A. M. (2019). Benefits of extracurricular participation in early adolescence: Associations with peer belonging and mental health. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 48, 2255-2270.
IF: 3.26; Qu: 1
24. Parent, N., Guhn, M., Brussoni, M., Almas, A., & Oberle, E. (2020). Social determinants of outdoor play? Examining family demographics and trust in neighbours in relation to outdoor play during early childhood. Canadian Journal of Public Health.
IF: 1.88 Qu: 2
25. Oberle, E., Gist, A., Cooray, S., & Pinto, J. (2020). Do students notice stress in their teachers? Associations between classroom teacher burnout and students’ perceptions of teacher social-emotional competence. Psychology in the Schools.
IF: 1.25 Qu: 2
*Former and current students are underlined IF = 5-year impact factor of journal at time of publication Qu = Journal quartile ranking within discipline from 1 (top quarter) to 4 (bottom quarter) Total referred publications: 25 h-index: 17 i-10index: 21 Total citations: 3,641