The Peer Advisors collaborate to provide department-wide support, but are identified to program-area students as peer advisors in the specific program area. They provide very important support for new and continuing students, as well as students who are considering application to the Departmental Graduate Programs.
The Peer Advisors provide valuable support to new and ongoing students, as well as provide information that supplements other available sources. They help to organize departmental colloquia, speakers and social events, as well as providing a mechanism for communication of student issues to department faculty and administration.
Assist the SCPS Coordinator and SCPS Area Committee by:
· Assisting the SCPS Area Coordinator and members of the SCPS Area faculty as needed
· Acting as a student peer advisor to SCPS graduate students
· Assisting with the department graduate student orientation and SCPS Back-to-School retreat and other SCPS events
· Assist in planning, organizing, and implementing on going SCPS area events (e.g., Supervisor Potluck; Area Towne Meetings)
· Attend monthly SCPS Area meetings when needed
· Undertaking research as requested by the SCPS Area Coordinator (e.g., collect information and data, prepare reports)
· Assist in student recruitment activities
Time commitment and pay
This Graduate Academic Assistant position is a 5 hour/week commitment from September 01, 2018 to April 30, 2019 with a stipend of $4,000 (for a doctoral level student) or $3,880 (for a master’s level student). While there is some flexibility with scheduling work hours, the GAA will be expected to hold weekly office hours and will need to work under the supervision of the Area Coordinator and Graduate Program Assistant for on-campus hours for some tasks.
To apply, please send your cover letter and current CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Sunday, August 12, 2018.
Applications should include the current CV and a letter indicating why you are interested in the position and what you feel you have to contribute to the Department.